Own Your Role in Protecting Your Cyber Space
October is Cybersecurity Awareness Month! Empower yourself and others by learning how to protect your devices and your personal online information from Cyber-attacks! Phishing, malware and ransomware are just a few ways your data can be breached. Below are important ways you can protect your personal and sensitive data.
- Strong Passwords/Password Management Tools – Use a mixture of upper and lower case letters, special characters and numbers and use at least 8 characters!
- Use Anti-Virus Protection and Firewall – This is the most widely used way to fight malicious attacks!
- Use 2-factor authentication – Add an additional layer of protection by using a password and a personal code.
- Keep software up to date – Turn on automatic system updates on your device.
- Protect Personal Identifiable Information – Be selective and secure about what you share on social media.
- Beware of phishing – Only open email from trusted sources.
- Backup Data Regularly – Keep 3 copies of your data on 2 different devices. If you are hit by ransomware the only way to recover is to erase and restore!
- Monitor your credit report – Protect your credit by placing credit freezes and fraud alerts on all three credit reports!
Cybersecurity Awareness Month helps you to understand how cyber-attacks can happen as well as how to safeguard yourself against malicious attacks! Do your part this month and take the necessary steps to stop cyber-crime!
For Privacy Protection and Financial Wellness Solutions and Strategies, contact KII Consulting, Inc. at 1-800-201-5563 or email [email protected]